Friday, March 19, 2010

Carrot Halwa

This is my first blog so I’m starting with a sweet.
One fine evening my father bought some fresh carrots from the market, I was wondering what to cook with that, then I thought of making my father’s favorite recipe “Carrot Halwa”.

It ‘s a simple recipe, easy to cook and delicious.

Ingredients:
Butter/ghee – 1/4kg carrot – 500mg milk - condensed milk (optional) – milk powder (optional) - sugar – cardamom powder – almonds & cashew nuts

Method :
>> Wash the carrots, peel the skin and grate it finely.
>> In a pan (nonstick pan) add 4 tsp of ghee or butter
>> To this add the finely grated carrot and roast it for 2 to 3 minutes
>> To this add milk and let the carrot cook
>> When the carrots are cooked you may add condensed milk or diluted milk powder (this is optional)
>> Now add 3 tbsp (=9tsp) of sugar to this.
>> Cook for long time till the halwa separates from the nonstick pan (till the ghee oozes)
>> In another pan fry almonds and cashew nuts in ghee.
>> Add cardamom powder and the fried nuts to the halwa.
Halwa ready :)

3 comments:

  1. Can we cook the carrots in just water?without milk or milk powder? probably the taste will not be that good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes we can... using milk will give a rich taste...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok... thanks for the reply!I shall try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete